Monday, September 15, 2008

Who Is My Neighbor?

Tonight, I listened as my pastor explained immigration as determined by Scripture. At the end of the message, I came away realizing I'd spent far too much time being critical of a certain group of people, so much so, that I couldn't see them as my neighbor whom I am to love as myself. We send missionaries to Mexico, because we see a need there, to witness the love of God to them. How does our need to share the love of God with them change, when they come here illegally? It doesn't, yet we see them and cry out "Criminal" ! Am I not a criminal as well, every time I break the law? While I may have an opinion about how my government should deal with the issue of legal American citizenship, I must remember that my true citizenship is no longer America, but Heaven! My allegience is owed only to the Maker of the country He was pleased to place me in temporarily! I can vote for elected officials that I think will uphold values and principles as close to the Word as possible, and even be proud of all that the men and women in this country have acheived to make it the greatest country on earth. But I'm only in America, because God chose it for me. I didn't earn it! There is a song that goes, "This world is not my home. I'm just a passin' through". Do I believe that? I'd better, because I sing that song a lot! If this world is not my home, then neither can America be. I've got a far better home waiting than any country on earth could give me! I'm still on route! And while I'm traveling the road that leads there, I may come upon a person who Jesus says is my neighbor. That illegal immigrant.....
" The fields are ripe for harvest, but the workers are few..."
What a perfect opportunity the Lord has laid in the laps of His people! A chance to do that very thing the Church is supposed to be about, loving my neighbor as myself! And who knows? Someday, that person may be my "eternal" neighbor, having a mansion right next door to mine!

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Nan!
So true! I need to be reminded again and again to love thy neighbor. Your words ring true for all in my life as I tend to be self centered and forget we are all God's creation. Thank you for sharing! A great way to end my day :-)

September 15, 2008 at 8:29 PM  
Blogger JanAl said...

My opinion on this subject, or should I say the human life that God himself created, has changed drastically in the past 5-10 years. I am so blessed to have been born in America. They did not choose which country they would be born into, the same way I did not choose the mother I was given.
I personally know someone in this circumstance. He is one of the hardest working men I have ever met. He is one of the kindest/sincere-hearted man I have ever met. He is a great husband, an awesome father, and a talented cook. And if you took the time to hear his life story, you would be as blessed as I am to have known him. He has forever changed the way I look at people on the outside, what language they speak, the income class they come from, and their reason for wanting to be free.
And on the other hand, I understand the need for laws, given by the government. So, I respect my autority, while I love my brother.

September 16, 2008 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger DL said...

Nancy, great post. It sounds like your pastor is a genius. And humble too. With rugged good looks. :)

Janal, if you keep up the well-reasoned, eloquent writing that I've seen from you several times now, you're going to have to go into counseling.

September 16, 2008 at 7:11 PM  
Blogger DL said...

I should clarify that Janal may have to become a counselor, not go in for counseling. :)

September 16, 2008 at 7:12 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

Thanks Darby & Janal!
Yes, Janal is gifted and my pastor has ruddy good looks.....ruddy?
Nan

September 16, 2008 at 8:26 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I guess they'll let just about anyone have a blog nowadays. :)
I must say, I am proud of you for setting it up, I mean, you didn't even call me once!

And, yes, your pastor does have rugged good looks!

Amanda

September 16, 2008 at 8:53 PM  
Blogger JanAl said...

I will not comment on the looks of your pastor, but I am very attracted to his brother!!!
Darby~ I am glad you clarified the counseling thing. Because of my quick impulse to speak, counsleling others is probably not a good idea for me. The computer makes it so that I have to think about what I am going to say. All of you would be blessed if I lost the ability to speak, and could only type to communicate. And, the problem with the internet, is that what I have to say, stays here forever, and what I have to say, depends on the mood I am in when I write it! SCARRYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

September 17, 2008 at 4:23 AM  
Blogger Nan said...

Hi!

FYI~ There are two different Amandas posting on my blogs. One is a dear Christian sister in Milwaukee Wi.
Hopefully, you'll know when it's my daughter-in-law.
And to my d-i-l, I tried so hard not to call and ask for your help on this!! lol However, I cannot figure out how to get my sidebar to add links and favorite sites! I'm going to work at it some more...but you mat y get a phone call!
Blessings~

September 17, 2008 at 7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home