Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Six Little Words

A few days ago I spoke with a good friend, actually a fellow musician/singer who has a recording studio. He had called to update me on a recent Christmas CD I sang on. We have a lot in common. We've known each other for many years. We both love music and love to share it with others.
John's a busy guy! Besides running his studio, he is part of a quartet. He also handles the sound system for other groups in concert. And, he handles the bookings for his group and oftentimes sets up bookings for others!
John makes no pretenses about who he is. He's the first to agree that we are all sinners in need of a Savior! And that's another thing we have in common. We both love the Lord and desire to serve Him through our music.
What made that day's conversation with him so inspiring for me, were six words he shared with me, "I would be lost without Sandy" . Now John certainly didn't mean eternally lost, or that she is his Savior.....but he was confiding in me that his wife is the most important human being in this world to him. As busy as he gets, as aloof as he may surely seem to be toward her at times, when he is so busy with others..... at the end of the day, he is saying that none of his accomplishments could ever take her place. We talked about marriage being the symbolism of Christ and His church. How the Scripture teaches that the two become one flesh. He reiterated that fact, and I'll paraphrase it, "Nancy, no marriage is without it's troubles, but I am so thankful to have Sandy as my wife. "
Now, I don't know Sandy well, but I believe his words. Sandy seems unbelievably patient and willing to submit to his ever beckoning musical endeavors. And as he told me these things, he had no idea that I was struggling to be a loving wife to my own husband. I had been taking many things in my own marriage for granted lately. After we hung up, I considered all that my husband does for me, to make my life good! He is so diligent to provide for me. He's so patient and faithful. If the Lord were to call him home today, I know that he would be safe in the arms of the Lord, because he knows Christ as Savior. And believe me, there is great comfort and peace in that. But for a while, things here on earth would be utter chaos for me! I would have to carry out so many responsibilities he now assumes! Not to mention, days and nights without his humor, his reassurances, his wisdom. And the marriage bed would surely be lonesome.
So, thank you John, for those 6 little words. As you and your lovely wife share this Thanksgiving together, consider all you have to be thankful for in each other. And I'll strive to do the same.
May all who read this, feel the same way about their spouse. But above all, the real thanks goes to a benevolent God, who has given us our life partner. It's inevitable that we all must leave this world someday. If our spouse goes before us, let us graciously submit to the Lord's will. Let us praise Him for the opportunity to have our spouse for however long He has deemed it to be. Let's live our days with our spouse, treating them like the gift they are! After all, it's Thanks-giving!

4 Comments:

Blogger DL said...

Well said. I personally think you and your husband ended up with a better spouse than you deserved. But then again, I think everyone has. :)

November 28, 2008 at 7:22 PM  
Blogger JanAl said...

Oh, I think I deserved better ! LOL !

J/K~ I love my husband, and I am thankful that Christ knew what was best for me!

November 30, 2008 at 5:53 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

Thanks you two!

But I am kinda concerned about the little added note by John King...J/K~

Oh..does J/K mean something else???
LOL

Mom

November 30, 2008 at 6:06 PM  
Blogger JanAl said...

J-ust K-idding !

December 1, 2008 at 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home