Thursday, December 11, 2008

Unlucky Number 13!

If 13 is an unlucky number, then I am totally ignorant of what unlucky means. You see, 13 is a very significant number in my life and when I throw that number at people, they generally have the same response.
Their eyes get big and their jaws drop. Maybe I should explain.

Someone I make an aquaintance with, will ask how many children I have. I reply that I have two sons. They smile and nod. Then comes the next question...any grandchildren yet? "Yes," I reply. "We have 13". That's when their eyes and jaws start to malfunction! They stammer, "That's a lot of grandkids for 2 sons!" I respond, "I know, and we're not even Catholic or Amish!"
Ah, grandchildren.......God's Word is full of verses referring to grandchildren. Here are but a few;

Genesis 31:28 "You didn't even let me kiss my grandchildren goodbye. You have done a foolish thing"
Gen.45:10, "You shall live in the land of Goshen, near Me..you and your grandchildren"
Exodus 10:2, "You shall tell your grandchildren how I dealt harshly with the Egyptians"
1 Timothy 5:4 "But if a widow has grandchildren, they should put their religion into practice by caring for their family" And my favorite,

Proverbs 17:8, "Grandchildren are a crown of the aged"
We see that God meant for us to regard grandchildren as precious. This Christmas, God gave me 2 more precious grandchildren, both on the same day! My youngest son and his wife were gifted with the desire and ability to care for many children. Having 6 of their own, they had also been foster parents to a little girl who came to them at 11 months old. Much later, a little baby boy came to them straight from the hospital. Shiloh is now 3 and Asher is 8 months. As though God has not been good enough, to give me 11 beautiful natural grandchildren, on December 1st, Shiloh and Asher were legally adopted into our family, even though to Shiloh, I've always been "Namaw" !
The house will certainly be full this year with grandchildren of all ages! To me, 13 is not an unlucky number. Nope, it is a blessed number indeed!

5 Comments:

Blogger JanAl said...

don't forget, you are grandma to 5 adult, plus 7 baby, Boston Terriers!

December 12, 2008 at 7:54 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

Hi!

I guess you're right! I have a lot of granddogs as well!

Love, Nan

December 12, 2008 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Nancy,
Does this mean we should keep it at 13?

Janal,
I was already pretty behind in kids, I'm WAY behind in GrandDOGS!
It's OK, even as competitive as I am, I'll gladly be runner-up to you!

P.S. Nancy, I had to get a google account just so I could comment on your blog!

December 17, 2008 at 6:28 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

Hi!
I'm glad you cared enough to get a google account so that you could comment!

I'm so glad to have a computer up and working agin! I'm behind on blogging, emails, etc!
Glad to see you visited me!
Love, Nan

December 25, 2008 at 6:01 PM  
Blogger Sydney said...

hey grandma it's me your 4th grandchild!! I don't read your blog much but then I don't read anyone's blog!!
I was bored so I decided to drop by!

April 17, 2009 at 11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home