Sunday, January 11, 2009

Beauty Is In the Eye of the Beholder

I sat quietly, having morning coffee as I always do. That's usually when I contemplate the important things in life, such as, "What will I fix for lunch?" Then something really important occured to me..... "When did I get that latest age spot? "
I don't like age spots. They remind me of a truth I can't deny. In today's culture, age is not a thing to embrace. The cosmetic industry is booming with the latest creams and procedures to help women retain their youth. Have I jumped on the cosmetic bandwagon in hopes of staving off the inevitable? You bet! But, no matter how hard I try to fight Father Time, I can't turn back the clock. It's an irony that in my opinion, there is nothing more unbecoming than a woman who isn't comfortable with her age. So how do I get comfortable with my age spots, and those ever increasing wrinkles, and that saggy skin? Is there an answer for how to feel beautiful at any age and does God care whether I'm beautiful or not?
Well, if beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I should desire to look beautiful in His eyes, above all others! How does God determine beauty? He obviously has determined that some women will be incredibly beautiful, externally speaking. If I were to measure beauty by the world's standards, I fall woefully short! However, His Word assures us that there is a beauty that exceeds any worldy measure. We must consider it's importance. Proverbs 31:30- "Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." 1 Peter 1:4- "But let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious." 1 Samuel 16:7- "For the Lord sees not as a man sees; man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart." Proverbs 31:10- "An excellent wife, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels."
Wow! This should bring confidence that any woman can acquire a beauty that transcends the physical! If I had to make a choice between a youthful and beautiful exterior that is precious in the sight of man, or that gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of the Lord, I'll opt for the latter, age spots and all!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home