Friday, April 3, 2009

Out of Commission

This blog is a follow up to an illness that put me in bed for 4 days...
It happened 11 days ago, when a coughing spasm set off a severe headache. Within minutes, I was down for the count. I could not walk or move my limbs. I could only say 2 words at a time that I kept repeating over and over. My heart was racing and I was jerking involuntarily. I could not follow any instructions. After being wheeled in to the emergency room, they did a CT scan for tumors or hemmorage. It came back normal. They then did a lumbar puncture to rule out aneurysm or menengitis. It came back normal. The doctor determined that I'd had a transient ischemic attack (mini stroke). I went home, only to be plagued with a severe headache in which I could not sit up, stand light, or sound. I followed up the hospital visit at my family doctor's 2 days later. I had to ride lying down on the back seat of the van and was taken immediately to a dark room with a bed. My doctor diagnosed me as having a severe migraine attack. He wrote out a prescription and ordered an MRI to be certain of my diagnosis concerning having a stroke. I am thankful to say that the MRI came back normal! This cleared things up for my doctor, who then made the correct diagnosis as my having what is called a "complex migraine". These exact symptoms are often misdiagnosed as a stroke! Then, just 4 days ago, I had another migraine attack. But I took the prescribed medicine which knocked it out in 90 minutes. I truly am thankful to know that all my tests came back normal. However, there is a spiritual side to this story. During that time of uncertainty, when I thought I might have something life threatening, I did not fear it. I considered that this might be God's way of bringing me home, and I was totally at peace with that, which surprised me! Having Jesus in my life brought me that kind of peace. It's what Scripture calls peace that passes all understanding. Now, I confess, I get upset with daily frustrations, and mishaps, but it's when things are extreme and eternity hangs in the balance, then God gives such peace. I've been told that others see a peace still with me. I think it's because I am more aware that each day of feeling well, is a blessing. I hope not to take my health for granted. But again, I am human and I already do in many ways! And there may be another day when I will succumb to a complex migraine attack. If that day comes, Lord help me to be mindful that any road marked with suffering I travel, will never be the road to Golgatha. Any migraine no matter how severe, will never be the cross. Because He bore that attack for me, I'll never have to face it. Oh, how I love Jesus...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home