Sunday, May 24, 2009

Gone But Not Forgotten

Time goes by so quickly! It seems like a only few months ago, that I was putting flowers on my loved ones graves, in memory of them. As I stood again looking down at the grave stones, thoughts came flooding back. Most of them the same memories...the ones that stand out in my mind. Even the good memories have a way of bringing a sober sadness to my heart, because I am faced with a reality that they are no longer here. I cannot reach out and give them a hug, or even a phone call. And I consider that even as as so many years have passed, they are "gone but not forgotten". Their memory doesn't dwell in my conscious day to day life, but they are forever etched in my subconscious, where any number of things may trigger their memory, and I'll consciously think of them. Memorial Day is that day set aside, where we remember friends, family, and the servicemen and women who have laid down their lives for our freedom. There is One person who stands out in my mind, not just on Memorial Day, but each day. He is not etched in my subconscious, waiting for something to trigger His memory. The memory of His death is a constant daily reminder of why I live! I mentioned that even good memories of a loved one who died, can bring sadness. It's ironic, that terrible memories of the death of a particular loved one, brings me immense happiness! Not that I revel in His pain and suffering. I agonize with Him, though I could never comprehend the extent of His sacrifice. But I am thankful and grateful that gave His life, so that I could experience eternal freedom!

2000 years ago outside the eastern gate, they led Jesus to Golgotha's hill, He went there in my place. Across His torn and beaten back, a world of sins was fought. They nailed Him to a rugged tree where the "timbers cross" . That old rugged hill became a battlefield, where the war for the souls of men was fought. And as the battle raged, Death, Hell and the Grave, who were His enemies, they lost. And victory hung where the "timbers cross". The earth was black as midnight and beneath a darkened sky, forsaken for a debt not His, our Lord was crucified. Yet through His bitter anguish, He counted not he cost. Jesus shed His blood on Calvary where the "timbers cross".......

There's reason to celebrate the memory of the the cross! Friends, Jesus is not one of those "gone but not forgotten" people ! He's alive and well! He won the victory! This is why any and every memory of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus brings me joy! Because He did it for me! He purchased my eternal freedom! If you wonder if He did that for you....find out for sure today! Ask Him! Call on His name and receive Him into your heart this Memorial Day! If you truly do this, I assure you, it'll be a day you'll never forget!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home